The CPT® book defines shared or split services in 2021.
- Formerly, only defined by CMS
- Now, may be used per CPT® for codes 99202—99215
Split/shared for Medicare: rules haven’t changed for split/shared in place of service 11 (office). However, CMS has removed the sections of the Medicare Claims Processing Manual (100-04, Chapter 12) that relate to shared services, noting that they were removed to be updated. Stay tuned.
- In order to bill split/shared in the office, visit must meet incident to guidelines
- No new problems, no new patients
- Physician must have established plan of care prior to visit, must be following established plan of care, NP/PA must be an expense to the practice
- Other requirements of incident to: physician must stay involved in the plan of care, and be in the office when services are provided
Login to read the rest of this article
Don’t have a login? Become a member, or learn more about the benefits of membership by clicking on the link below.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association Copyright 2021, American Medical Association All rights reserved.