- There are three elements in medical decision-making and this article describes the second, arguably, the most complex of the three elements
- When selecting a level of service based on medical decision-making two of the three elements are required
- CPT® has developed definitions for many of the components in the MDM chart and this article describes the definitions and rules related to data
- Data, and crediting data, has been anything but simplified and straightforward. Although the physicians on the AMA committee may describe it as intuitive, it doesn’t seem that way to those of us trying to interpret it.
This post includes:
- Quick reference sheet Credit for tests in the data element
- A brief video summary with downloadable slides
- Definitions related to data in the new MDM chart for office E/M visits in 2021
- Selecting the level of data using the new MDM chart for E/M services in 2021
Login to read the rest of this article
Don’t have a login? Become a member, or learn more about the benefits of membership by clicking on the link below.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association Copyright 2022, American Medical Association All rights reserved.