In 2019, CPT® changed the definition of code 10021 and deleted 10022.
Read on for a review of these changes, as well as examples and additional resources from CodingIntel.
Fine needle aspiration biopsy
- Material is aspirated with a fine needle and the cells are examined cytologically
- Core needle biopsy is performed with a larger bore needle to obtain a core sample
- Use code 10021 for FNA without imaging guidance, first lesion
- New CPT® codes include imaging guidance
- Add-on codes for additional lesions, also defined by type of imaging guidance used for the procedure
Login to unlock the rest of this article
Don’t have a login? Learn more about the benefits of membership by clicking on the link below.
Watch this on-demand webinar “Coding for minor surgical procedures” for a review of coding rules related to lesion destruction, laceration repair, wound care, removal of foreign body and other common in-office procedures. Webinars are free for members.
Not a member? Find out how you can watch too!