- The American Medical Association (AMA) revised codes 99202—99215 in 2021. These changes are in the 2021 CPT book.
- Beginning in 2021, time alone can be used to select one of these codes, whether or not counseling dominates the visit. Non-face-to-face activities performed by the billing clinician on the day of the E/M service may be included in the time.
- There will be different rules for using time for different categories of E/M services.
- See also When to use time to select an office visit code using the 2021 E/M guidelines
This post includes:
- New and established patient office visits
- A brief video summary with downloadable slides
- New time rules for office services
- Separately reported – what it means
- Independent interpretation of test results
- 2021 Time thresholds for 99202-9215
New and established patient office visits
Time may be used to select the level of service for 99202—99215 whether or not counseling or coordination of care dominates the service. Using time when billing for codes 99202—99215 requires a face-to-face service by the physician, advanced practice registered nurse (APRN), or physician assistant (PA).
Login to read the rest of this article
Don’t have a login? Become a member, or learn more about the benefits of membership by clicking on the link below.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association Copyright 2021, American Medical Association All rights reserved.