- Using time to select a level of service for office visit codes 99202–99215
- Total practitioner time on the date of service can be used to select one of these codes. Counseling and/or coordination of care no longer needs to dominate the service.
- See also When to use time to select an office visit code using the 2021 E/M guidelines
This post about using time for office visits includes:
- New and established patient office visits
- A brief video summary with downloadable slides
- Time rules for office services
- Separately reported – what it means
- Independent interpretation of test results
- Time thresholds for 99202-9215
New and established patient office visits
Time may be used to select the level of service for 99202—99215 whether or not counseling or coordination of care dominates the service. Using time to select office visits (the level of service) when billing for codes 99202—99215 requires a face-to-face service by the physician, advanced practice registered nurse (APRN), or physician assistant (PA).
Login to read the rest of this article
Don’t have a login? Become a member, or learn more about the benefits of membership by clicking on the link below.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association Copyright 2021, American Medical Association All rights reserved.