- CPT® is revising codes 99202—99215 in 2021.
- Beginning in 2021, time alone can be used to select one of these codes, whether or not counseling dominates the visit. Certain non-face-to-face activities may be included in the time.
- There will be different rules for using time for different categories of E/M services.
The current rule for selecting a new or established patient visit based on time is that the clinician may count only face-to-face time with the patient, and more than half of that face-to-face time must be spent in counseling and coordination of care. CPT® currently defines counseling as a discussion with the patient and/or family member about:
- Diagnostic results, impressions, recommended diagnostic studies
- Risks & benefits of management
- Instructions for management
- Importance of compliance
- Risk factor reduction
- Patient and family education
Beginning in the 2021 CPT® book, there will be different rules for using time to select an E/M code for different categories of codes. The rules for hospital visits, nursing facility visits, home visits, for example, are not changing in 2021.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association Copyright 2019, American Medical Association All rights reserved.