- CPT® is revising codes 99202—99215 in 2021.
- Beginning in 2021, time alone can be used to select one of these codes, whether or not counseling dominates the visit. Certain non-face-to-face activities performed on the day of the E/M service may be included in the time.
- There will be different rules for using time for different categories of E/M services.
The current rule for selecting a new or established patient visit based on time is that the clinician may count only face-to-face time with the patient, and more than half of that face-to-face time must be spent in counseling and coordination of care. CPT® currently defines counseling as a discussion with the patient and/or family member about:
- Diagnostic results, impressions, recommended diagnostic studies
- Risks & benefits of management
- Instructions for management
- Importance of compliance
- Risk factor reduction
- Patient and family education
Beginning in the 2021 CPT® book, there will be different rules for using time to select an E/M code for different categories of codes. The rules for hospital visits, nursing facility visits, home visits, for example, are not changing in 2021.
Login to read the rest of this article
Don’t have a login? Become a member, or learn more about the benefits of membership by clicking on the link below.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association Copyright 2019, American Medical Association All rights reserved.